Meet Author Donna L. Dillon

    Author: Ey Wade Genre:
    Rating


    Our latest visitor to IN THE CHAIR, is Donna Dillon, author of  two of the most thought provoking novels and the cutest picture book.

    This is what Donna says about herself. "My name is Donna Dillon. I live in Illinois with my husband and four kids. I am your typical starving artist, I am always writing,drawing, painting, you name it, I create it."  Thank you so much Donna for stopping over.


    When did you start writing, and what did you write about?
     I started writing in high school, mostly poems and songs. My oldest boy was born in 1987 and I started writing stories for him. I wrote 4 children’s stories and entered them in the Canadian National Bedtime stories where 3 of them made it to the top ten. When I moved back to the states and was working full-time, I mainly wrote poems for funerals and did that for about ten years.

    What is the difference in your perception between now and the time you started writing?
    My perception of what? Life?  In my 20’s I believed in fairy tales and thought a princes was going to come rescue me. In my 40’s I have finally settled down into reality now that my first prince had turned into a frog. I think everything I have experienced goes into my writing at some point, so I am a substantially better writer now, than I was in my 20’s.
    Please write a few lines about the books you have published, and what brought you to publishing each one of them.

    The Snake Pit: Jr. High Can Be Torture: I have always been told, write what you know and this little book about bullying in the public schools is something I know a lot about. Like Cinda, the main character, I was born with a cleft lip and palate and was the subject of teasing and bullying. I felt this was a story that needed to be told.
    See my review 
     




    Through The Gloaming: Since The Snake Pit is a novella, I wondered if I had it in me to write a full-length novel. I was in the shower one day and the ending of the story actually came to me then. I started writing that day. I love this story.  







    Why Did It Have To Rain Today: Actually, the first written, last published. I wrote this story for one of my kids many years ago. It is also my first attempt at illustrating which is both frustrating and exhilarating.  It follows Jack on his adventures with books on a very rainy day.

    What are you writing about now and why are you writing this book?

    I was asked by a friend to write a story about a girl with Down Syndrome.  It’s a children’s book called My Sister Has Down Syndrome. 
    Wow, that could turn into a very important topic. Tell me, how do you go about writing your books? Do the ideas just pop in your head or do you have to plot and plan?

    I sit and write. I do not spend time plotting chapters, or outlining. I open a big bag of M&M’s, sit down at my computer, and write.

    "M&Ms, I see you know my weakness." *points to HUGE package of blue M&Ms sitting in the middle of the table*  "Thanks for the gift. If anyone want to know how to get over on me...this was your hint. Which also brings us to marketing, selling yourself. I’m having a bit of a hard time marketing my books. What are your techniques and do you feel they are working?

    By far the most frustrating part of writing a book. I am still learning and have much more to learn about marketing my own books.
    Where can the audience purchase your books? 

    Amazon.com and Barneandnoble.com and in the Createspace e-store.
    I have a habit of talking (interviewing) to the people in my books.  How do you communicate with your characters? 
    My characters talk to me in my head. They all have specific voices and personalities. I have written conversations and deleted them thinking: Alex would not say this.

     "I understand. Laughs out loud.I've been there a few times. So, if I were to interview one or two of the characters from your novel what do you thing he/she would say about the role you put him/her in? Do you think they would like the book?

    Alex and Jake would be quite happy with their roles, although Alex would probably say I exaggerated his selfishness. Cinda from The Snake Pit would probably thank me for telling her story and tell me to keep going until every student in the world reads her story.
    What hobby or activity do you enjoy other than writing?

     I am an artist. If I am not writing, then you can find me at my drafting table covered with paint working on one project or another. 
    So, saying, I know you're busy and have to get back to work. Thank you for your time and stopping over to chat with us here at IN THE CHAIR. It’s been fun.

    Amazon: US 
                  UK 
     Visit  Donna's Amazon Author Page
    for more good books

    Write About Or Link To This Post On Your Blog - Easy Links :
    Link Directly To This Post :

    Link To The Homepage :

    3 Responses so far.

    1. Awesome interview! It is great to learn more about you Donna.

    2. Nice to get to know you a bit, Donne. And I have silent conversations with my characters all the time. :)

    3. Ey Wade says:

      It was. I like interviewing people.

    Leave a Reply

    Does this character move you in any way? You can twitter if you wish.

    Request Review Copies

    If you’d like to request a copy of any of my novels to review, please contact Ey Wade imtheauthor@gmail.com Please put 'request for review copy' in subject line. I also love working with bloggers and other reviewers!

    You can see all of my books (including previews) through the links on our Web site, Wade-In Publishing.com. You can also grab pins @itsmeeywade on Pinterest.com